Learn why not all skincare products are the same, and why choosing Om Organics’ pure, plant-based and totally clean skincare is a safe, effective and ethical choice.
Are brand-name skin products safe?
Most brand-name skin products contain harsh chemicals or fragrances that do little to replenish, moisturize or heal the skin. In fact, they can sometimes trigger adverse reactions, such as allergies and scent sensitivities, doing more harm than they do good.
How can you tell the difference between a natural and a synthetic skin care product?
Many commercial, brand-name products use the word natural or organic in their labelling to indicate that they contain a botanical ingredient, such as aloe vera (aloe barbadensis), marula oil (sclerocarya birrea), honey, or hyaluronic acid, which is a sugar found naturally in the skin.
What can also be confusing is that many commercial products also use the Latin terms for plants and chemical ingredients.
Recognizing the plant name from the chemical name helps differentiate an all-natural, plant-based product from one that uses synthetic ingredients.
What are the most toxic beauty products?
Unlike plant-based natural skincare products, synthetic, chemically-derived skincare and beauty products contain toxic ingredients harmful to our health. Some of these products are also tested on animals. Avoid products that have the following ingredients:
- Methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben, used to preserve the shelf-life of products, can cause hormone disruptions and increase the risk of cancer.
- Dibutyl and diethylhexyl phthalates, used as a lubricant or fixative in body lotions and perfumes, can cause hormone disruption and reproductive damage.
- DMDM Hydantoin, a type of formaldehyde preservative used in lotions and other personal care products, contains carcinogens.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), used as surfactants or foaming agents in shampoo and other cleansers, can cause skin and eye irritation as well as clog pores and increase the chance of acne.
- BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) and BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole), used as a preservative in moisturizers, have been known to form potentially cancer-causing reactive compounds in the body.
Why are natural skin products better?
There should be no need to be exposed to or put chemically derived ingredients on your skin, especially when it comes to a daily skincare routine. That’s because most plants offer the same or even better moisturizing and cleansing properties than their superficial, chemical counterparts.
Skincare products containing only botanically derived oils and extracts from plants, herbs, and flowers have beneficial medicinal effects due to their natural compounds containing vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
When you keep the plant material in its natural state through carrier oils, floral waters, plant extracts, and essential oils, and use raw materials such as cocoa butter as well as natural emulsifiers such as acetyl alcohol, a naturally derived fatty alcohol, you get better results the way that nature intended.
Are you concerned about fragrance sensitivity? Learn how Om Organics infuses natural scents into its natural skincare line.
TREAT YOUR SKIN TO OM ORGANICS SAFE SKINCARE CONTAINING PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS. SHOP ONLINE FOR OUR EFFECTIVE AND ETHICAL NATURAL SKINCARE DERIVED FROM NATURE.